Monday, September 26, 2011

Warning: You May Be Offended

Children tend to duplicate and emulate what they see from their father and mother. As we always hear, action speaks louder than words. Thus, parents should lead by example and not depend on simply advising their kids on what to do or not especially if they don't walk the talk.

So when we rush them around and yell at them for playing when they're suppose to be getting ready for school. We hurry them through supper, bath time, then bed time, so that we can get other things done. Just so that we can get 20 minutes of peace? When we could have spent that time cuddling with them instead.

Over the past few weeks, I have really been analyzing my parenting skills. I am guilty of getting frustrated because I'm running late to work and the girls aren't cooperating. I am guilty of hurrying them to bed so that I can get homework or house-cleaning done. I've seen friends who get frustrated when their child wants attention and they are too busy on Facebook.  I have seen parents who just allow the T.V. to babysit their children. 

And then I think about it...what if I saw my children treat their children like that? What kind of example am I setting for my children? And then I realized that I really needed to change some things.  I mean, sure, they copy me and most of which I am proud of. When they are very loving and affectionate toward their babies, when Cally has such empathy for those poor animals (and starts crying) on television, I know they learned that from me.

 I am making sure that I cuddle with them every moment I get. I am making sure that if they want me to rub their back or rock them to sleep, I will do it. I will do my best to build my patience. I will never let them see domestic violence again. I will show them in every way, every day, that I love them with every inch of my being. I want them to want to be the kind of mother I am and strive to be.

So.... think about it... what kind of example are you setting for your children? Are you giving them the affection and attention that they need - and deserve? You're a parent, remember? When you agreed to have that child, you essentially agreed to little down time for yourself.  Children learn what they live. Make sure they learn love and laughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment